Sunday, January 15, 2017

The Way of Kings review

The Basics

Book Title: The Way of Kings (The Stormlight Archive, #1)
Author: Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1007
ISBN: 978-0-7653-2635-5
Genre: Fantasy

Defining Quote

"Somebody has to start, son. Somebody has to step forward and do what is right, because it is right. If nobody starts, then others cannot follow." - pg. 913

Summary

This is the beginning of an epic tale, including multiple voices, but focusing on three overall: a young girl looking to become a ward, a slave, and a highprince. 

Thoughts

I don't claim to have read every fantasy book in the world, but I have read quite a few. This is, in my opinion, one of the best fantasy books I've ever read. Within the thousand pages, Brandon Sanderson gives you the opportunity to get to know the main three characters and the world they live in. I saw myself walking besides each character and seeing their world through their eyes as if it were my own. Sanderson was detailed in much of his world building, but doesn't unload it on you all at once. It's done gradually and with the assistance of sketches drawn by one of the main characters. For all its world building, I flew through this book much faster than I expected. 

What I love most about this book is the characters, by far. Each one is working towards a greater good and trying to do what is honorable. As you live their lives, you begin to see that they come with their weaknesses and make mistakes throughout. Unlike some characters where you don't understand where they are coming from, Sanderson has developed these central characters so intricately that you understand each decision they make along the way, even if it is the wrong one. My heart broke when they fell and it pumped with adrenaline when they fought for their lives. 

Being the first book in the series, it had to do a lot of building because this world is nothing like our world. Everything is from scratch, so you don't expect the story to take on too many twists. I usually pride myself for figuring out the answers to mysteries and plot twists long before they actually happen. With this book, I was left with my jaw to the floor multiple times, especially towards the end. Sanderson wove the details together so well to keep you wanting to know more and then giving that blow of information right when you want it. 

Pros vs. Cons

  • Pros
    • well developed world building
    • characters you identify with and adore
    • clever unveiling of plot twists
    • not getting caught up in a lot of unknown terms at once
  • Cons
    • 1000 pages is still a lot to get through
    • at times can be frustrating to get so little information at a time
    • can be difficult to keep track of all the names, especially in the interludes

Overall Rating

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐



Tell me what you think! Is there anything else you want to know about what I think? Did I leave anything out? If you've read the book, do you agree with my review? 

Don't forget to follow me on:
Twitter: @missymaynook

No comments:

Post a Comment