Thursday, January 26, 2017

Queen of the Tearling review

The Basics

Book Title: The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)
Author: Erika Johansen
Pages: 434
ISBN: 978-0-06-229036-6
Genre: Fantasy

Defining Quote

"Kelsea shut her eyes and opened them again, an action that seemed to take all of her strength. Her uncle was waiting inside, but she didn't know how she could stand in front of him now. Her bloodline, once a secret source of pride, now seemed little more than a cesspool. Her uncle was filth, and her mother...it was like sliding down the face of a precipice from which all handholds had vanished." - p. 135

Summary

Kelsea has spent her entire life training to become queen and the moment has finally come. She needs to take her place on the Tearling throne, if she isn't killed first, in order to bring the kingdom out of its current misery. 

Thoughts

This book wasn't what I expected it to be. I first heard about this book from Regan and she described it as being focused on the political aspect of a kingdom. In my mind, I associated fantasy and politics-heavy with something similar to A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. Instead, this book starts you off at the very beginning of Kelsea's rule and it gradually builds upon what she has to do for her kingdom, which is in utter ruin. So, the pacing of the book was a lot slower than what I had anticipated, since I was comparing it to a complex, keep-you-on-the-edge-of-your-seat novel. But if you go in, not comparing it to anything else you've read, I think you'll have an even greater experience than I did (and it was a really good one!). 

What I really enjoyed about this story is that you're seeing her take this kingdom that really hasn't had any ruler at all for years and try to make something good out of it. It always seems that when I read a fantasy novel with kings and queens, the kingdom is well established already and we're focusing on some sort of change during that comfort zone. Here, we're starting at the very beginning and are (most likely) going to watch the entire progression from horrible to good. 

Kelsea is a very relatable character and is honestly starting to become one of my fictional role models. She has faults and acknowledges them, but doesn't let them overcome her. She's a lot smarter than people give her credit, but not to a fault. She has compassion for people and wants to do the best she can with what she is given, even if it means putting her life on the line. 

My only questionable thought about this book is whether it needed to be divided into three books or if it could've been more compact. The pace was slower than expected (as I mentioned already) and I'm wondering if the series being a duology instead of a trilogy would've helped with the pace. I've never read this series though, so I may change my mind on this. 

I am planning to continue this series and am even reading the next book, The Invasion of the Tearling, with the same buddy that I read this book with, Nathalie, on Goodreads. 

Pros vs. Cons

  • Pros
    • Kelsea
    • Great characters
    • Easy to follow plot
    • Seeing the kingdom being built up from the foundation
  • Cons
    • Slow-paced
    • Trilogy probably could've been a duology (may change my mind on this)

Overall Rating

⭐⭐⭐⭐1/2


What do you think? Was the pacing too slow for you? If you haven't read The Invasion of the Tearling and want to read along with me in February, let me know below in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment