Sunday, May 14, 2017

A Court of Thorns and Roses review

The Basics

Book Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Pages: 416
ISBN: 978-1-61963-444-2
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Young Adult

Defining Quotes

"'Because I wouldn't want to die alone,' I said, and my voice wobbled as I looked at Tamlin again, forcing myself to meet his stare. 'Because I'd want someone to hold my hand until the end, and awhile after that. That's something everyone deserves, human or faerie.'" - p. 153

Summary

We follow Feyre as she is taken from her home from one of the Fae, a magical superior species separated from humans, for killing one of the Fae's own. 

Thoughts

This is my second time reading this book because I wanted the entire story fresh in my mind when I got to the third book, A Court of Wings and Ruin. It was good to read this story again so I could slow down the pace a little more and let the story sink in. 

In the first half of the book, Sarah J. Maas takes her time in getting Feyre adjusted to living with the Fae and I could see how it could be interpreted as being slow. There is information that is purposely being hidden from Feyre (for good reason), which keeps you from learning too much at once. Personally, I think the pace was just right. I felt like I was given time to get to really know Feyre and the way she thinks, as well as the new world she was just starting to learn about (just like the reader). 

Now, I planned to read this book in the course of 4 sittings - dividing the book into quarters. It was easy to do up to the halfway point. Once I was at the halfway point, I just couldn't put the book down for more than a few hours (and that was only because I had work). The second half of this book is gripping and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout. I feel like the end of this book is what really puts the cherry on top for this book. I don't want to give out any spoilers, but I feel like Feyre reacts to her situation in a normal, human way that most main characters going through exciting climaxes don't usually show. It takes a turn that no other writer (that I know of) goes in a fantasy novel and I just love it. 

Overall, I can see why this book may not be a favorite to some, but for me, it's the perfect build-up to the second book. I highly recommend this book/series to any reader, especially those looking for a strong female character that you can identify with. 

Pros vs. Cons

  • Pros
    • Amazing main characters
    • Unique development in the end
    • Hard to put down after the halfway point
  • Cons
    • Can be slow for the first half

Overall Rating

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment